What is Biology?
Biology is a natural science discipline that studies living things. It is a very large and broad field due to the wide variety of life found on Earth, so individual biologists normally focus on specific fields. These fields are either categorized by the scale of life or by the types of
WHY STUDY BIOLOGY? WHY IS BIOLOGY IMPORTANT?
- “Biology helps us know, understand nature
- Benefits to humans
- Role in medicine
- The life of biology is research
- Environment and biology
- Biology helps us understand our bodies and the changes occurring in them”
LEARNING IN BIOLOGY OPENS UP CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
- Research, whether in the lab, the field or both
- Healthcare, as doctors, nurses, veterinarians, or developing drugs and vaccines for pharmaceutical companies
- Conservation, by studying endangered species and finding out what causes their extinction and/or advocating to protect them and their environments
- Art, by finding ways to depict biological systems that help us understand how they’re composed and how they function